Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Thing #8 - RSS Feeds and Readers

Let me just start by saying "I love Lee LeFever!!!." The Common Craft "In Plain English" videos are great and I'm a dork who likes the little cut-outs. So I finally know what RSS stands for and what RSS feeds actually are now. I signed up for Google Reader and it was a piece of cake to search for and add subscriptions. I like the all-in-one concept and email style setup of an RSS feed and the fact that everything you need is right there with one click and automatically updated. This technology would be great for me personally to be able to keep up with things that I'm interested in like cycling and currently what is going on with the Tour de France. At school it would be useful by finding blogs related to my subject matter and creating a public page for my students. Libraries could use the RSS feed technology to create public pages with tons of information for almost every subject and it would be perfect for setting up a current events feed for history classes. Check out some of my favorite items in Google Reader from the feed on the left.

1 comment:

  1. He is one of my 2.0 heroes also...he has made learning about so many of these things SO much easier! I hope he keeps creating and making them available for us to use!

    ReplyDelete